Chicken biryani is what we are eating and serving at every family get-together. During this get-together, impress your guests with mouth-watering and tempting Mutton Biryani.
Marinated spiced meat with fragrant layers of rice, mutton biryani is all munching into the taste and forgetting about the world.
In this guide, we’ve highlighted the step-by-step recipe for Mutton Biryani. Check out the recipe and the ingredients you will require.
Mutton Biryani Recipe
Course: Main Course
- ½ kg Basmati Rice
- 1 kg Mutton front leg piece cut into half
- 2 Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 Sliced Onions
- 1½ cup Ghee/ Oil
- 3-4 drops Kewra Essence
- 4-5 Green Chilies
- ⅓ cup Warm Milk
- Pinch of Saffron Strands
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 3 tbsp Raw Papaya Paste
- 1-2 pcs Star Anise
- 2 pcs Bay Leaves
- 2 pcs Black Cardamom
- 1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds
- 6-7 Black Peppercorn
- Full-size 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Nutmeg or ¼ tsp powder
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1 Mace Spice or ¼ tsp powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ Cup Curd
- 6-7 Cloves
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2-3 Sliced Potatoes
- 1 packet Lucky Masale Sindhi Biryani
How to Make Mutton Biryani?
Unlike other biryani recipes, Mutton biryani demands more time and effort. To simplify things, we have divided the recipe into three sections. First, let us begin with marination.
Step #1 – Marination
Take the mutton leg piece and wash it thoroughly. Now take a kitchen towel or tissue paper and pat dry the meat. If you don’t like whole mutton leg pieces, you can also opt forcube-size meat pieces.
Place the leg piece onthe kitchen counter and mark several cuts. It will help the marinated mixturemix well and give a juicy taste.
Wear gloves and take a bowl. Add Curd, Raw Papaya Paste, Lemon juice, Ginger Garlic Paste, and Lucky Masale Mutton Biryani recipe mix.
Make sure the curd is beaten well before being mixed.
Place the lamp piece in the bowl and thoroughly spread the marinated mixture on the meat piece.
Poke the mixture into the cuts using your fingers.Once done, cover the bowl, keep it in the refrigerator, and leave it for 2-3hours.
Step # 2 – Preparing the Mixture
Since meat is marinating, meanwhile we can prepare the mixture. What you need to do is;
Take a heavy bottom pot and put it on the stove. Turn on the flame, heat the pan, and add oil. Add Bay Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Cloves, Green Cardamom, and Cinnamon Sticks.
Just after 1-2minutes, add Sliced Onion and Green Chilies. Fry the onion until light golden brown. Take half of the fried Onion, and leave the rest in the pot.
Add the marinated lamb piece and sauté on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Also, add a hand-full fresh Coriander leaves, Nutmeg, and Mace Spice powder.
No need to add water as the mixture contains Papaya paste and curd. Cover the pot and cook on low-medium flame until meat is tender.
Once done, cook the mixture on a high flame to separate the oil and turn off the flame.
Note:Add this point; you can fry the potatoes separately and mix with the ready mixture.
Step # 3 – Boil the Rice
We are just one step closer to finalizing the recipe for Mutton Biryani. Here is what to do now;
Soak the Basmati rice for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a pot, add water, and bring it to a boil. Drain the water, and add the soaked rice to the boiling water.
Take a piece of lint-free fabric and add Star Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon Sticks, Cardamom, BlackPepper corn, and Cumin. Tie a knot and leave the bag in the boiling water.
Do not cook the rice until entirely done. Cook till¾ done.
Again, drain the water and separate the boiled rice.
Also, take ¼ cup of warm milk, add Saffron Strands, and dissolve them.
Step# 4 – Layering
Add 1-2 tbsp. of Oil/ Ghee in a pan and heat it.Make sure the bottom is perfectly coated with oil. Turn off the flame.
Now add a layer of boiled rice. Once the bottom layer is ready, add prepared meat.
On the top, add the remaining layer of boiled rice.Sprinkle saffron-milk mixture and Fried Rice. Do not forget to sprinkle Kewra essence and fresh Mint leaves.
Cover the pot with a tight-fitting cover to not let the heat escape.
First, cook the rice on high flame for 10 minutes,then let the rice cook on low flame for 30-40 minutes.
So Delicious! Why Mutton Biryani is a Must-Try
You’ve tried chicken, you’ve tried fish, and perhaps even tried paneer (if you live in an area with a large Indian population). But have you ever tried mutton? It may sound strange to eat lamb if you’re not used to it, but when prepared correctly, this meat is just as flavorful and tender as its beef or chicken counterparts.
Biryani is a rice and meat dish that originated in Persia. It was brought to India by the Mughals, and the dish has since become popular all over South Asia. Mutton biryani is made with lamb or goat meat, and it is usually spicier than other biryanis. The dish is often served with raita (a yogurt-based sauce) or chutney. Many people believe that mutton biryani is so delicious because of its blend of spices and tender meat.
How to Cook Perfectly Every Time?
Cooking mutton biryani is an art. If you want to know how to cook it perfectly every time, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- First, always use fresh ingredients.
- Second, make sure the mutton is cooked properly.
- Third, don’t overcook the rice.
- Fourth, add the right amount of spices. And fifth, let the biryani rest for a few minutes before serving.
Mutton biryani is one of the most popular dishes in Indian cuisine and not just because it’s delicious – but also because it’s so easy to prepare at home. While this recipe includes minced lamb, those with dietary restrictions can substitute beef or chicken instead.
Additions To A Standard Recipe
1. To make the perfect mutton biryani, you need to start with good-quality ingredients. This means using fresh, organic mutton that has been properly marinated.
2. The rice used in biryani should also be of good quality. Basmati rice is the best type of rice to use because it is light and fluffy.
3. The spices used in biryani are what give it its unique flavor. While many Indian dishes rely on a few basic spices like cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic, and ginger for their base flavors; biryani relies on about 12 different spice mixes. These include cardamom pods (green or black), cinnamon sticks (whole or ground), cloves (whole or ground), bay leaves (whole or ground), and green cardamom pods (green or black) and cumin seeds. In addition to these spices, every cook adds their personal touch by adding anything from asafetida powder to mace, nutmeg, and pepper.
What Is In A Biryani, Exactly?
Biryani is a layered rice dish made with spices, meat, and vegetables. The most common type of biryani is made with chicken or lamb, but there are also vegetarian versions. Biryanis are usually served with raita (a yogurt-based sauce) and a pickle or chutney on the side.
There are variations in biryani recipes, depending on what region it comes from. In North India, for example, the typical biryani includes boiled eggs and is flavored with saffron; whereas, in South India, it’s prepared using fish and includes mustard seeds as well as coconut milk to create that signature spicy flavor.
A lot of people enjoy eating mutton because it’s much leaner than beef or pork which makes for a healthier meal option when combined with other ingredients like garlic cloves, onions, ginger root, and tomatoes
This gives you plenty of variety in terms of taste as well as nutrients so you don’t have to worry about feeling unhealthy after eating this delicious meal.
There are many reasons why mutton biryani is so delicious.
- First, the spices used in mutton biryani are very fragrant and give the dish a wonderful flavor.
- Second, the rice used in mutton biryani is usually basmati rice, whiling-graining grain rice that has a nutty flavor.
- Third, the meat used in mutton biryani is usually goat or lamb, which is very tender and juicy.
- Lastly, to make mutton biryani even more flavorful, onions are caramelized before they’re added to the pot with all of the other ingredients.
This Eid season, serve sizzling hot mutton biryani to your guests and win their hearts. The preparation will take time, but you will surely devour the outcome. Ensure to serve Green Raita and Salad along with the Biryani. Also, don’t forget to double up the taste with Soft Drink and a desert.